Yes, It Can.
It's always nice to get out of the office to attend a seminar or conference. And most people enjoy socializing with their co-workers at the company picnic or holiday party. Even though most of these occasions take place outside of the office, your company is still held liable to the laws against workplace sexual harassment.
Most firms regularly sponsor a variety of events for their employees to foster camaraderie and build teamwork. The problem is, when the decorations go up and the alcohol starts flowing, people start to relax and let their guards down and sometimes forget about being on their best professional behavior. However, when it's a work-sponsored event, employees should abide by the same set of guidelines outlined in their company handbook.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when attending workplace events.
- Relax and enjoy the event, but conduct yourself in a professional manner.
- Dress appropriately for a business function.
- Limit your alcohol consumption.
- If a co-worker's behavior is making you uncomfortable, tell them and remove yourself from the situation as soon as possible.
- Alert your supervisor to any inappropriate behavior.
If you have any questions about workplace sexual harassment at a company-sponsored event please call us toll-free at (818) 990-8300 or visit our sexual harassment attorneys page for info about legal rights.