No Win, No Fee (818) 990-8300

Employee Rights Blog

Time Restraints On Sexual Harassment Reporting

Posted by Eric Kingsley | May 12, 2019 | 0 Comments

For those who are wondering sexual harassment  it may be time to get expert advice. When you are a victim of sexual harassment you may feel overwhelmed and unsure of what to do. 

Your next step, however, can be an important one.  It is wise to consult an attorney immediately for advice and guidance. California and Federal law protects you; however you must file a complaint within one year of the harassing behavior.

How Long Do I Have To Report A Sexual Harassment Complaint?

How long do you have to file a sexual harassment lawsuit

Under California law, you have up to one year to file a sexual harassment complaint with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH).   Conversely, victims have only 180 days from the time of the incident to file with the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

Filing with the EEOC protects your federal right to sue when a complaint has not been filed with the DFEH.  Both agencies have a "work sharing agreement," meaning a charge filed with one is considered filed with the other.

You will receive a "right to sue" letter immediately from either agency once you have filed a charge.  Again, the time frames are different for taking action.  With the EEOC, you have 90 days to file a sexual harassment lawsuit, where the DFEH allows one year to do so.

Speaking with an experienced Los Angeles sexual harassment attorney near you is important following a violation. Finding the best representation is a decision you won't want to take lightly.  As a victim of a workplace claim you want to ensure that you receive the care that your case deserves.  Take the next step by simply calling (818) 572-4143 to speak with a knowledgeable legal specialist.

About the Author

Eric Kingsley

Eric B. Kingsley is a 2023 "Best In Law" Award winner and has litigated over 150 class actions. He is also an AV peer rated attorney and a prolific speaker at various seminars on employment law.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

We Hold Employers Accountable - Get Help Now

You do not have to go through this alone. Contact our Los Angeles Employment law firm for a free case evaluation. We represent our clients on a contingency fee basis, which means that you do not pay any fees unless you win or recover compensation, and you will never have to pay out-of-pocket. California-only. We are unable to help those outside of California. Call (818) 990-8300