Contact Us for a Free Initial Consultation 888-500-8469

California Legal News

How to file a Wrongful Termination Suit in California

Posted by Eric Kingsley | Oct 03, 2013 | 0 Comments

When you feel you've been a victim of wrongful termination in the state of California you have three years from the date of the incident to file a civil action. You can also file a private lawsuit, but before doing so, you must file a claim with the EEOC.  It can be difficult to prove, particularly with California's “at will” employment policy so we've put together some tips on what to do if you are considering filing a wrongful termination suit.

Istock 000014051485small 300x300

Tips for filing a Wrongful Termination Suit

  1. Find your employment contract, if you have one. Review it and look for language about termination.
  2. Review your employee handbook, policy manuals, and other documentation that could indicate an implied contract between you and the employer. An implied contract could entitle you to notice or severance pay.
  3. Document the details of your termination.
    • Include dates of notifications – when, where, and how you were notified and by whom.  Make sure to document everyone who was involved.
    • Gather all paperwork and emails relating to the situation.
  4. Hire an experienced attorney to argue your case on your behalf.

At Kingsley & Kingsley, we have helped many California clients fight Wrongful Termination claims.  We know the details of the law in California and want to help you.  Take advantage of our free consultation to discuss how we can help. Don't wait; call us toll free at 888-500-8469.

About the Author

Eric Kingsley

In practice since 1996, attorney and firm co-founder Eric B. Kingsley has litigated complex cases and authored numerous appellate briefs in both state and federal court on behalf of the California law firm of Kingsley & Kingsley, including over 150 class actions. Mr. Kingsley concentrates his pra...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us For A Free Initial Consultation

At Kingsley & Kingsley, we understand that you may be going through a difficult time, and we are here to help you recover from the wrongs that you suffered. An attorney at our Los Angeles law firm can meet with you for a free initial consultation to discuss your circumstances. We also take most cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that you do not pay any fees unless you win or recover compensation. Call 888-500-8469